Various...

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Something to wipe your arse on


I'm no royalist, far from it. I think it is stupid that we're ruled by an unelected person "chosen by God", even if Liz is only is a figure head, rather than a ruler. I can, however, can see the point of view that says the royals' tourism value is a reason to continue to have a monarchy.

Despite my apathy towards our Queen and her family, I found myself feeling sympathy towards them, or more specifically, a likely future member of the Windsors. Kate Middleton. I'll grant you that her relationship with Prince William is news worthy and warrants column inches. But the recent explosion of articles about her is unbelievable, especially all the comparison with Princess "butter wouldn't melt" Diana.

Most of this undeserved attention is from the likes of The Daily Mail, and other such excuses for "news"papers. These are the same papers that hounded Diana to her dying day, and then printed apologies and statements saying that they would never again venture down to the gutter with such paparazzi led news stories. What a load of bollocks. Kate is under 24 hour surveillance by 20+ photographers, who will then sell their pictures to the aforementioned toiletpapers.

Personally I'm not interested in the fact that she has worn some clothes that are similar to some of those which Di wore once 20 years ago. I'm not defending the royals or taking their "side". I'm just angry and frustrated with the hypocrisy of these papers, and other media (including my employers - CNN), and annoyed at their short memories about these statements they made in September 1998.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to get that off your chest then...

8:36 pm

 
Blogger Neil Dempsey said...

the tabloids suck the balls

best example - the furore (is that the right spelling?) over the Brass eye peado episode.

I think it was the Express, condemning it whilst on another page in the same edition, a picture of the underage royal princesses in bikinis...

sadly, people will keep buying them so they'll stay the same...

7:50 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home