Various...

Friday, October 20, 2006

Mourning Glory?

Yay - more lists!!

I had reason to think about what follows recently, after my Nanna died, and after I watched High Fidelity, for something like the 500th time. And then I came across a survey about the most played songs a funerals at the moment and here it is:

1 - "Goodbye My Lover" - James Blunt
2 - "Angels" - Robbie Williams
3 - "I've Had The Time Of My Life" - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley
4 - "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler
5 - "Pie Jesu" - Requiem
6 - "Candle In The Wind" - Elton John
7 - "With Or Without You" - U2
8 - "Tears In Heaven" - Eric Clapton
9 - "Every Breath You Take - The Police
10 - "Unchained Melody" - Righteous Brothers

When my time comes, if ANY of the top 4 are played at my funeral, I promise here and now to come back to haunt and torture the person responsible. I couldn't think of any more vomit inducing pieces of work than those four songs at my funeral. They all make me want to take whatever device is playing them throw it down into the deepest canyon I can find, stopping only to throw up on the way. I can't even make some baseless racialist comment about the inclusion of these songs, it was a British survey.

Ideal songs for my funeral would include the likes of The Tweets' The Birdie Song, Black Lace's Agadoo, The Cheeky Girls and maybe Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

OK, maybe not. How about these

Burt Bacharach - What The World Needs Now
Elton John - Song For Guy
Green Day - Good riddance (Time of your life)
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Jack Johnson - Do You Remember?
Ben E king - Stand By Me
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats
Coldplay - Kingdom Come
The Flaming Lips - Do you realize?
Beck - Lost Cause

and one of my all time favorite songs, the beautiful

The Beatles - In My Life


Well, listening to all of those songs has really cheered me up. Maybe now I'll go listen to Nick Drake while watching Shooting Dogs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home