Various...

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bees


This post has nothing to do with the band The Bees, who's album Free The Bees is a contender for my top 10 albums, should I ever decide on a definitive one.


This story is curious.

What is causing the bee population to plummet, it's been labelled CCD - Colony Collapse Disorder. In other words, the boffins haven't got a clue. Is it global warming? Is it mobile phones? Is it an unknown new disease?

This story got me thinking of a few things.

1 - One of my sister's favourite jokes: Where does a bee go to the toilet? A BP station!

2 - Where does the expression "the bee's knees" come from? The closest I got was that I discovered that bees have little pockets on their knees where they store pollen when they are going around the flowers and plants.

3 - this won't surprise anyone who knows me. It the first thing this story made me think of was this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

1 Comments:

Blogger Ummit said...

Good. I'm glad we're sticking to the Eddie theme this month.

Bees Knees actually originated in a time of many animal-derived sayings. "Feeling the cat's left udder", "As steady as a badger in braces", and the popular, "Sober as an elephant with an undecended testicle". The mass distribution of LSD happened around a similar time.

6:46 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home